Apple cinnamon oatmeal packets
1/2 cup quick oats oatmeal
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1-2 tablespoons dried apples, chopped
1 cup water
- If desired, mix all ingredients into a “packet” to heat and eat later. (See “Tips and Variations” for suggested containers.)
- Pour contents into a large bowl* and add water.
- Do not cover and microwave on high for 1 1/2-2 minutes.
- Top with fresh, chopped apples, if desired.
*Use a 4-cup bowl or the oatmeal will overflow when cooking. Or use only 1/2 of the mix and 1/2 cup water in a smaller bowl.
- Instead of adding the sugar, cinnamon, and apples, try these variations:
- Cinnamon Raisin — Add 1 teaspoon brown sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1–2 tablespoons raisins.
- Cinnamon-Spice — Add 1 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Cocoa — Add 1 teaspoon baking cocoa and 1 teaspoon sugar, or 2 teaspoons “quick-type” chocolate drink powder.
- Sweetened — Add 1 teaspoon sugar or 1 teaspoon brown sugar.
- Pre-mix your oatmeal for future use. Assemble your packets in small zipper-style plastic bags or a reusable jar. Or try making a larger batch of each variation and scoop out 1/2 cup as needed.
- Have children make these packets to give as gifts. Have them make labels for the packets.