Apple spinach salad
4 cups spinach leaves
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup red onion, chopped
1 medium tart apple, cut into bite-sized chunks
1/4 cup raisins* or dried cranberries
*Raisins were used for the nutrition analysis
- Wash spinach thoroughly. Pat dry or spin in a salad spinner.
- Tear spinach into bite-sized pieces and place in a large bowl. Set aside
- In a small bowl mix oil, vinegar, sugar, and salt.
- Add the apple, onion, and dried fruit to the oil mixture and toss to coat apples. Let stand ten minutes.
- Combine ingredients together in the large bowl of spinach and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
- The spinach and oil/vinegar mixture can be prepared ahead and stored separately in the refrigerator.
- To keep the apple from getting brown, cut the apple and add to the oil/vinegar mixture then assemble the salad just before serving. The vinegar in the dressing keeps the apple from browning.
- For a complete meal, add slices of baked or grilled chicken breast and serve with a slice of whole wheat bread and a glass of skim milk.
- Add feta or walnuts for additional flavor!