Nonstick cooking spray or vegetable oil
3 cups quick oats
2∕3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup softened margarine
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup applesauce
1 cup skim milk
Optional: 1-1 1/2 cups chopped apples, mashed banana, raisins, peaches, or blueberries
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease or spray a 9” x 13” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, mix quick oats, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together.
- In a small bowl, blend margarine, eggs, and applesauce. Slowly blend in the milk.
- Add wet mixture to dry ingredients. Stir in any optional fruit if desired and spoon into the pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- To save time in the morning, assemble the oatmeal in the baking pan in the evening and refrigerate.
- Reheat leftover baked oatmeal in the microwave. Scoop a serving in a bowl and heat for 1 minute on high. Add additional milk to serve.
- To serve this dish to a group, leave the fruit out of the oatmeal. Instead, serve a variety of chopped fresh fruits, dried fruits, chocolate chips, and nuts in small bowls. Individuals can top the cooked oatmeal with their own toppings.