Baked stuffed squash
1 small buttercup, acorn, or other winter squash
1/2 cup tart cooking apple, chopped
2 teaspoons packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half; remove seeds and fibers.
- Place squash halves, cut side up in ungreased baking dish (11 by 7 by 1 1/2 inches).
- Mix remaining ingredients. Spoon into squash halves.
- Cover and bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until squash is tender. (Baking time may vary for a winter squash other than buttercup.)
- You can substitute any winter squash for the acorn squash in this recipe.
- Buy extra squash when it is on sale in the fall. It generally stores for a month or more in a cool, dark place.
- Baked stuffed squash freezes well.
- If you have leftover stuffed squash, remove and discard the squash peel. Chop the squash. Add the chopped squash and stuffing to oatmeal, a grain or lettuce salad, or a wrap.