Baked tomato slices
2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup bread crumbs
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and pepper to taste
Nonstick cooking spray
4 large ripe tomatoes, sliced 1/2-inch thick
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Mix together parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper.
- Spray shallow baking pan with cooking spray.
- Place tomato slices close together in greased pan.
- Sprinkle tomato slices with parmesan cheese mixture.
- Drizzle slices with olive oil.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes or until topping is lightly toasted.
- Baked tomato slices can be served as a vegetable side dish or as a meatless main dish.
- Try a different type of shredded cheese on top.
- For an Italian-style burger, top a fried or grilled burger with one or more baked tomato slices.
- Leftover baked tomatoes will be wet but are still tasty. Chop up leftover tomatoes and mix them in a pasta or rice salad, or add them to pizza or soup.