6 tablespoons butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups ripe bananas (about 5), mashed
1 1/2 cups non-fat vanilla yogurt
2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil muffin pan cups or use cupcake papers.
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, bananas, and yogurt.
- In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Fold into the wet mixture. Mix until all the dry ingredients are incorporated (do not over mix).
- Bake until done, about 18 minutes for muffins.
- To decrease sodium, use unsalted butter.
- Instead of muffins, bake in cake or loaf pans. Increase the bake time to 35-50 minutes, depending on the size of the loaf. Bake until a toothpick or skewer can be inserted into the loaf and come out clean.
- To add variety, add 1/2 cup chopped strawberries or other fruit, chopped nuts, or chocolate chips.
- This is a great recipe to make with your kids. Have younger kids open and mash the bananas and mix. Have older kids measure the ingredients.