1 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained, rinsed (about 1 1/2 cups cooked)
1/2 cup salsa or picante sauce
Optional: 1/4 cup chopped onion
1 clove of garlic, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- Put all ingredients in bowl. Mash with fork until almost smooth. Or blend in blender or food processor until smooth.
- If desired, warm in microwave at 50% powder for 2-3 minutes. If still not warm, heat an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Make cooked pinto beans from scratch to save money. Follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas: http://z.umn.edu/preparingbeans.
- Serve bean dip with cheese, tortilla chips, or whole wheat crackers.
- Serve leftover dip in pocket bread with ham and cheese. Warm in a microwave, if desired.