Berry bread pudding
Shortening or oil (to grease pan)
8 cups of bread, cubed or torn into 1 1/2 inch pieces
4 cups mixed berries (blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, or blueberries)
3/4 cup sugar
3 cups skim milk
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
Optional: 1/8 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 9- by 13-inch pan.
- In large bowl, toss the bread cubes with the berries to distribute evenly. Place in pan, pressing with hand if necessary to fit.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs with a whisk or electric mixer on low speed until frothy.
- Add sugar and beat until well blended.
- Add milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and continue beating on low speed until well blended.
- Pour egg mixture over the bread and berries, pressing bread gently to come in contact with egg mixture.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a cake tester or toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
- Just before serving, dust each top with powdered sugar, if desired.
- You could easily substitute other fruits for the berries in this recipe. Try different combinations and make use of fruits that are available for the season.
- Use whole grain bread to increase the nutrition for this recipe.
- This is a great recipe to get your kids involved in the kitchen. Smaller children can help tear the bread and measure the berries. Older children can help measure the other ingredients and assemble the pudding.