Black bean and corn salsa
1 15.5-ounce can black beans or 1 3/4 cups cooked black beans
2 cups frozen or canned corn
2 cups salsa
1 lime, juiced
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
Optional: 1/2 cup onion, chopped
Optional: 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- Drain and rinse corn and beans, if canned. Combine in a medium bowl.
- Add salsa.
- Mix in the lime juice cilantro, and cumin.
- Mix in the optional ingredients if desired.
- Make cooked black beans from scratch to save money. Follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas: http://z.umn.edu/preparingbeans.
- Reduce your sodium intake by using low-sodium beans and corn.
- Serve salsa as a dip with tortilla chips or as a side dish.
- Leftover salsa can add excitement to a variety of foods. Try it in eggs, on pizza, on pasta, or in soup.