Brown rice with sizzling chicken and vegetables
3 cups hot cooked brown rice
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 tablespoons oil
16 ounces boneless chicken breast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
2 cloves garlic (minced)
1 small white onion, cut into small wedges (about 1/8 inch thick)
3 medium carrots, peeled and thinly sliced (1 cup total)
1 1/2 cups small broccoli florets
1 medium red bell pepper (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- Mix soy sauce, water, honey, and cornstarch in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok or large skillet. Add minced garlic; sauté about 1 minute until garlic is golden.
- Add chicken; cook about 5-6 minutes, then push chicken to the side.
- Add onions to center of skillet; cook until slightly tender and push to the side.
- Continue with carrots, broccoli, and peppers separately, placing each in center of pan, cooking until slightly tender and pushing to the side.
- Pour soy sauce mixture into center of skillet. Leaving other ingredients at the sides of the pan, stir sauce until it thickens.
- Mix in with vegetables and chicken. Serve immediately over cooked brown rice.
- To round out the meal, serve with an 8-ounce glass of non-fat or low-fat milk.
- Keeping the total amount of vegetables the same, try other vegetables such as: celery, cauliflower, green peppers, kohlrabi, cabbage, or bok choy.
- For a sweet addition, add pineapple chunks.