1 cup uncooked brown or white rice
1 -15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1⁄4 cup chopped, fresh cilantro
1/2 lime juiced
1 medium onion, halved and sliced
1 bell pepper, cut in strips
1 Tablespoon canola oil
1 pound lean ground beef, turkey, or chicken
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Salt to taste
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add onions and peppers. Sauté until tender. Stirring occasionally. Place on a clean plate or bowl.
- In the same pan, add meat and sauté until browned. Add chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin and stir until combined. Set aside.
- When rice is finished cooking, turn off heat. Fluff with fork. Add fresh cilantro, rinsed black beans, lime juice, and salt to taste. Stir to combine.
- Assemble burrito bowls and top with desired toppings. Try shredded lettuce, salsa, jalapenos, plain yogurt.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours and use within 4 days.
This recipe can be customized with whatever vegetables or toppings you have on hand.
Get creative with toppings! Try lettuce, plain Greek yogurt, salsa, jalapeno, avocado or guacamole.
Reduce the sodium by using low or reduced salt beans and by rinsing the beans.