Cheesy egg bake
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
3 cups chopped vegetables such as broccoli, green pepper, mushrooms, and onion
1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 3-ounce package light cream cheese (also called Neufchatel), softened
1 cup day-old bread (about 1 slice), cubed
Optional: 1/3 cup cooked ham, chopped
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/3 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add vegetables and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender. Turn off heat and pat the vegetables with paper towels to remove any excessliquid or moisture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth. Add eggs and mix well.
- Stir in vegetables, bread, ham, and pepper.
- Pour into greased 8 x 8-inch baking dish or small casserole dish.
- Bake, uncovered, for about 30 minutes, or until egg mixture is firm. Remove from oven.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and bake for 5 more minutes.
- Children can wash and pat dry vegetables. Older children can help chop vegetables.
- Substitute other cooked vegetables, cooked meats, and cheese to create your own favorite combination of flavors