Chicken rice soup
2 cups cooked rice (white, brown, or wild rice)
1 20-ounce can chicken
1 cup chopped onion or 1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 can chicken broth or 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon dissolved in 10 oz warm water
1 can sliced carrots
2 cups milk
1/2 cup flour (to thicken the milk soup base)
Spices: to taste (celery seed, garlic powder, black pepper, thyme, sage, rosemary)
1 Tablespoon cooking oil
4 Tablespoons butter
1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Saute onion in oil until transparent.
3. Stir in chicken broth and spices.
4. Add chicken and carrots to broth. Bring to a boil, turn heat down and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
5. In a separate pan, make a roux by melting the 4 tablespoons of butter and whisking in the flour, slowly whisk in the milk.
6. Pour in the roux, stir until smooth, add cooked rice.