Colorful fruit salad
1 cup red fruit (strawberries, watermelon, red grapes, or red apple)
1 cup green fruit (honeydew melon, green grapes, or kiwi)
1 cup blue or purple fruit (blueberries, plums, or blackberries)
1 cup orange or yellow fruit (cantaloupe, pineapple, or mandarin oranges)
1 cup tan or white fruit (bananas or brown pears)
1 cup orange juice*
*If you use concentrate, follow instructions to mix concentrate with water.
- Wash fruit.
- If using kiwi or bananas, peel fruit.
- Cut fruit into bite-sized pieces.
- Toss fruit with the orange juice.
- If you do not have fresh fruit, use frozen fruit or fruit canned in juice (avoid heavy syrup).
- Mix apples in orange juice right away. The acid in citrus helps keep the fruit from turning brown.
- Substitute 8 ounces (1 cup) of low-fat piña colada yogurt for orange juice.
- Make a smoothie with the leftover fruit salad. Just add non-fat yogurt (any flavor) and blend in blender.
- To prevent choking with small children, cut grapes and banana slices in half or quarters.