Crunchy bean salad
1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli flowerets, steamed
1/2 cup cooked or canned navy or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
3/4 cup oil-free Italian salad dressing
3/4 head of lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
3/4 cup unsalted sunflower seeds
- Combine broccoli and beans with salad dressing. Chill several hours to blend flavors.
- Toss bean mixture with lettuce. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds.
- Serve. Refrigerate leftovers.
- Make cooked beans from scratch to save money. Follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas: http://z.umn.edu/preparingbeans.
- Serve leftover salad in a wrap or pita bread. You may want to place the salad in a colander first, to drain any extra dressing.
- Add or substitute your favorite vegetables in this salad. Try adding onions and bell peppers, or swapping out the broccoli for cauliflower.