Curried chicken and rice
2 cups brown rice
3 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 package (8 ounces) frozen peas
1 bunch fresh parsley
- Place rice in a small pot that has a lid and heat on medium high heat, stirring until it smells like popcorn.
- Add water. Bring to a boil. Cover and turn to medium low. Cook covered undisturbed for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a frying pan. Add chopped onion, salt, and curry powder. When onions are transparent, add chopped chicken. Sauté until chicken is cooked through.
- Add frozen peas. Cook 2 minutes more. Add cooked rice and mix well. Add chopped parsley and mix in.
- Serve with a side garden salad or sliced tomatoes.
- You can use leftover rice to prepare this meal quickly.
- Use shrimp or sliced round steak instead of chicken. For a vegetarian version, use chickpeas instead of chicken.
- Add other veggies that you have on hand such as chopped peppers, corn, chopped carrots, or chopped celery with the onions and brown them together.
- Garnish with cilantro.