Easy kale with bacon
4 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
2 bunches kale, stems cut away or peeled and leaves chopped into 1-inch pieces
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ground pepper to taste
- Saute bacon in large pot over medium heat until crisp and brown. Remove bacon to paper towel. Set aside
- Remove bacon drippings from pan, reserving 1 tablespoon. Saute onion and garlic 2 minutes in bacon drippings.
- Add chopped kale to onion mixture. Cover and cook 10 minutes until kale wilts and is almost tender, stirring occasionally.
- Season kale with salt and pepper. Cook uncovered until liquid has cooked away.
- Add bacon pieces and serve.
- For a vegetarian healthier version of this recipe, leave out the bacon and saute onions and garlic in 1 tablespoon vegetable oil.
- Try Swiss chard in place of kale.
- If you have leftovers, mix the cooked greens with cooked brown rice and eat as a salad or in a wrap. Cooked greens are also great mixed into scrambled eggs or served on pizza.