Easy macaroni goulash
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, sliced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1 15-ounce can tomato sauce, no salt added
1 28-ounce can stewed tomatoes
2 cups whole grain or regular elbow macaroni
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon paprika
- In large frying pan or Dutch oven, brown ground beef. Drain excess fat and rinse meat under hot water.
- Add onion and green pepper. Continue to fry until tender.
- Add remaining ingredients. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15-20 minutes, until macaroni is tender.
- Use lean ground turkey or chicken in place of ground beef.
- Blend the stewed tomatoes for a smoother sauce.
- Add additional vegetables (chopped kale, broccoli, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, etc.) to increase the nutritional value of this dish.