Easy meat sauce
2 pounds ground beef or ground turkey
3/4 cup onion, chopped
2 15-ounce jars spaghetti sauce
3/4 cup water
4 cloves garlic (or garlic powder)
1 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1-2 cups chopped vegetables
- Brown meat thoroughly, making sure there is no pink color left in the meat or juices.
- Drain any excess fat from meat. Rinse with hot water.
- Combine drained meat with onion, spaghetti sauce, water, and spices. Add vegetables. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer 20-30 minutes or until desired consistency.
- Refrigerate or freeze leftover sauce in 1-cup portions.
- Leave the salt and add more garlic or herbs for more flavor.
- Add 2 cans of kidney beans and 2 teaspoons of chili powder to 2 cups of meat sauce to make easy chili.
- For sloppy joes, add 1 tablespoon each of vinegar, brown sugar, and 3/4 cup ketchup to 2 cups of meat sauce.
- Cook once and eat twice. This is a great way to use leftovers. Store leftovers in the refrigerator immediately.