Easy rice pudding
2/3 cup regular raw enriched white rice
2 cups warm water
Optional: 1 teaspoon butter or margarine
1/2 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup water
1/2 cup raisins or other dried fruit
- Combine rice, water, and butter or margarine (if using) in large casserole. Cover loosely so steam will escape.
- Cook in microwave on high for 5 minutes or until mixture comes to boil. Reduce setting to defrost (50% power), and cook additional 10 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, mix together the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Without allowing rice to cool, remove cover and quickly stir the dry milk-raisin mixture into hot rice. Cover loosely again and continue cooking on defrost (50%) for 10 minutes. After cooking time is finished, let pudding sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir gently and put in individual serving dishes.
- Eat warm and refrigerate leftover within 2 hours, or cover and refrigerate immediately. Enjoy the refrigerated pudding within 2 days.
- Cooking regular rice in a microwave avoids the problem of scorching the rice, but it does not save time. Rice requires the same amount of time to cook, whether you prepare it in a microwave or on top of the stove.
- When making pudding in a microwave, you avoid the possibility of scorching the milk.
- If you do not have dry milk, use 1 cup fresh milk instead of the dry milk and the last cup of water.
- Substitute brown rice for white rice. Increase the cook time as needed.