Farmers market salsa
1/2 cup fresh corn, cooked or frozen
1 - 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup onion, diced
1/2 cup green pepper, diced
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup picante sauce or jarred salsa
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Chill until serving time.
- Drain before serving.
- Serve with low fat baked tortilla chips or fresh vegetables.
- Make cooked black beans from scratch to save money. Follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas: http://z.umn.edu/ preparingbeans.
- To decrease the sodium, look for low-sodium or no-sodium black beans
- Older children can help by washing and chopping vegetables.
- Salsa will become juicy after sitting for a while. This is normal.