Green beans with tomatoes and basil
1 pound fresh green beans, snipped
1 tablespoon oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes, drained
1 tablespoon fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
Optional: Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook beans in a large saucepan of boiling water for 5 minutes; beans will still be crisp. Drain and rinse under cold running water. Set aside.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add tomatoes, basil, and parsley. Cook 3 minutes to heat and combine flavors.
- Stir beans into pan and cook 5-6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Substitute 1 tablespoon fresh herbs for the 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs, if you have them on hand.
- If you don’t have a full pound of green beans, add other fresh vegetables. Parboil hard vegetables (carrots, broccoli, etc.) until they are crisp.
- To boost the flavor, add 1 clove chopped garlic when you saute the onions. Add 1/4 cup chopped black or green olives when you add the beans.