Hearty oatmeal cookies
3/4 cup margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg or 2 egg whites
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup raisins
3 cups quick or old-fashioned rolled oats
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream margarine and sugars together.
- Add egg, water and vanilla and beat mixture until creamy.
- Mix flours and baking soda together and beat into margarine mixture.
- Stir in raisins and rolled oats.
- Drop teaspoons of the batter onto ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 12-15 minutes.
- For variety, you could also add 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon or 1/2 cup chopped nuts to this recipe. You could also swap in some chocolate chips or dried cranberries for some or all of the raisins.
- Whole wheat flour is a whole grain food, meaning it’s healthier than all-purpose flour. You can safely swap out half of the all-purpose flour for whole wheat flour in any recipe without affecting the recipe. (We have already made that change to this recipe.) Try making this change in a favorite recipe. It’s an easy way to help your family eat more whole grains!