Jicama and black bean salsa
1 small jicama, peeled and chopped (about 1/2 cup)
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup frozen corn, thawed
1/2 green or red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
1/2 onion, diced (about ½ cup)
1/3 cup light Italian dressing
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Optional: 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped, OR 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- In a large bowl, combine the jicama, beans, corn, pepper, onion, and dressing. Add cilantro if desired.
- Stir to coat all vegetables with dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate several hours for flavors to blend.
- This dip tastes fine without the jicama, but it adds a nice crunch to the salsa.
- Serve this salsa with tortilla chips or hearty whole grain crackers.
- This recipe can also be served as a salad.