Kale and rice salad
1 garlic clove, minced OR 1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon mustard
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups kale, torn into pieces
1/2 cup carrots, shredded
1/2 cup red or green cabbage, shredded
2 tablespoons dried cranberries (like Craisins®) OR raisins
1 cup cooked and cooled wild rice OR brown rice
Nutritional analysis used brown rice and Craisins®.
- Make the dressing. Combine minced garlic clove, lemon juice, and mustard in a bowl. Slowly whisk in the olive oil. Whisk for a few moments until the dressing comes together. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large salad bowl combine the kale, carrots, cabbage, and cranberries.
- Toss well with the dressing and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the wild rice and toss once more.
- This is a great recipe to make with your children. Children are more likely to try new foods (like vegetables), if they are involved with making them.
- Instead of the dried cranberries or raisins, try this salad with a chopped apple, sliced grapes, chopped nectarine, or other fruit.
- Serve leftover salad in a whole grain wrap or pita pocket.