4 medium kohlrabies (about 1 1/2 pounds without leaves, 2 pounds with leaves)
2 teaspoons olive or canola oil
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced or 1/4 teaspoon powdered ginger
2 tablespoons shallot or onion, chopped
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Remove kohlrabi leaves if present and save for another use.
- Peel kohlrabi globes and shred or julienne/cut into short, thin strips.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Toss kohlrabi with ginger and shallots and heat until tender-crisp, 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and serve hot.
- This is a great dish to introduce children and adults to kohlrabi. Experimenting with new vegetables brings a fun experience to the dinner table.
- You can swap in turnips, celeriac, or winter radishes for all or part of the kohlrabies.
- Leftover kohlrabi saute is great added to soups or grain salads.