Macaroni and cheese
1/2 8-ounce package whole grain elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons margarine or butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups skim milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
2 cups (8-ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
Optional: 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- Cook noodles according to package directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan, melt margarine or butter. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until sauce thickens. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Add cheese and stir until cheese melts.
- Stir cheese mixture into cooked pasta.
- Spoon pasta into a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Top with bread crumbs if desired.
- Bake 30 minutes.
- Make this dish healthier by adding chopped vegetables when you mix the cheese sauce with the pasta. Try onion, broccoli, red pepper, corn, tomatoes, or cauliflower.
- Try using a combination of cheeses instead of just cheddar.
- Reheat leftover macaroni and cheese in the microwave. Add a little more milk before heating and stir frequently.