Marinated three-bean salad
1 8-ounce can lima beans*
8-ounce can cut green beans*
1 8-ounce can red kidney beans*
1 medium onion
1/2 cup sweet green bell pepper, chopped
8 ounces fat-free Italian salad dressing
*If you cannot find an 8-ounce can, use 1/2 of a 15-ounce can.
- Drain the canned beans.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion and separate into rings.
- In a large bowl, combine the lima beans, green beans, kidney beans, onion rings, and green bell pepper.
- Pour the Italian dressing over the vegetables and toss lightly.
- Cover the bowl and marinate in the refrigerator for at least one hour. The salad can be left in the refrigerator overnight.
- Drain before serving.
- This is a great recipe to make with your children. Older children can chop the vegetables while younger children can empty the cans and mix the salad.
- Substitute other canned beans or sweet pepper if needed. It won’t affect the flavor very much.
- Use low-sodium canned beans to reduce the sodium.