Mexican chicken soup
2 15-ounce cans diced tomatoes (Mexican-style), no salt added
1 15-ounce can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
2 cups frozen corn or 1 12-ounce canned corn, drained and rinsed
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cloves garlic, minced or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into large cubes
- Mix all ingredients except for the chicken in a large saucepan. Add the chicken.
- Heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender and fully cooked.
- Remove chicken and place on a plate. Use forks to shred the chicken. Once shredded, return chicken to the soup and reheat if needed.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced or chopped avocado, light sour cream, or low-fat shredded cheese.
- For more flavor, add green pepper with the tomatoes, beans, and corn.
- To make cooked black beans from scratch, follow the instructions on Preparing Dry Beans and Whole Dry Peas at http://z.umn.edu/preparingbeans.