1 pound whole grain pasta (any shape)
1 tablespoon olive oil
6-8 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
3 cups canned tomatoes, diced
4 cups assorted vegetables, sliced or chopped (summer squash, green peppers, eggplant, etc.)
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/4 cup grated cheese
- Cook pasta using package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat oil in sauté pan or skillet. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add parsley and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer and simmer for four minutes.
- Drain the pasta.
- To the sauce, add vegetables, seasonings, and cooked pasta. Toss the mixture and heat thoroughly.
- Add lemon juice and cheese just before serving.
- For additional protein, toss in slices of cooked Italian sauce, grilled chicken or other cooked leftover meat when you toss the pasta into the sauce.
- This recipe can easily be adapted for make your own pasta bowls. Rather than cook the vegetables in the sauce, saute them with a little olive oil in a separate pan. Sprinkle them with the lemon juice and a little Italian seasoning, or a combination of dried oregano and basil. Create your buffet line by lining up a large bowl of pasta, the pan of prepared sauce, the pan of prepared vegetables, a small bowl of cheese, and a small bowl of cooked meat (see above) if using. Everyone can mix-and-match the ingredients in their own bowl.