Polenta with pepper and cheese
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups corn meal (or polenta, uncooked)
- 1 can whole kernel corn mixed with green and red peppers (11 ounces, drained)
- 2 cans green chiles (7 - 8 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- 6 ounces cheese, cheddar, reduced fat, shredded
- 1 can black or pinto beans (15 ounces, rinsed)
- cilantro sprigs (optional)
- 1 red bell pepper (cut into rings)
1. In a medium sauce pan, bring the water to a boil. Gradually add the cornmeal or polenta. Reduce heat to low.
2. Continue stirring, add the corn, chiles and the salt. Cook 6-8 minutes or until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
3. Gently stir in the margarine, cheese and beans.
4. Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving dish.
5. Garnish with red bell pepper rings and cilantro.