3 cups water
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
(see “Tips and Variations” section for homemade version)
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups quick or old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup vanilla yogurt
Milk (for serving)
- In a medium saucepan, bring water, pumpkin pie spice, and salt to a boil.
- Stir in oats. Return to a boil and reduce heat to medium. Cook 1 minute for quick oats or 5 minutes for old-fashioned oats. Most of the liquid should be absorbed. Stir occasionally.
- Stir in the pumpkin and brown sugar. Cook 1 minute. Let stand until it is the desired thickness.
- Spoon oatmeal into four cereal bowls. Top with yogurt. Serve with milk if preferred.
- Make your own pumpkin pie spice mix. Mix together the following spices and store it in an airtight container.
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- If there is leftover pumpkin, freeze it for the next time you make pumpkin oatmeal.
- If you have leftover oatmeal, layer it with yogurt and fruit to make an easy parfait.