2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 bell peppers (green, red, or yellow)
1 eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained (low-sodium)
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup parsley, chopped
- Heat oil in a large saucepan and saute onion, garlic, bell peppers and eggplant until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and basil, cook about 10 minutes.
- Add pepper and parsley before serving.
- Serve hot.
- Cover and refrigerate within 2 hours.
- You can also add 1-2 medium zucchini, chopped into 1-inch pieces, at the same time you saute the other vegetables.
- Consider using a bag of frozen vegetables. It will be more economical than fresh vegetables and contain less sodium than canned vegetables.