Roasted root vegetables
4 medium root vegetables (potatoes, rutabagas, turnips, parsnips, sweet potatoes, etc.)
2 medium carrots, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Peel and cut vegetables into similarly sized bite-sized pieces.
- Place vegetables in a medium bowl and pour oil over top.
- Add garlic powder and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread mixture into a baking sheet or shallow baking pan.
- Stir and check vegetables every 10-15 minutes. Vegetables are done when they show signs of crispness and browning and are easily pierced with a fork. Roasting time will average 30-60 minutes, depending on the type of vegetables and size of pieces.
- Teens can peel and chop vegetables.
- Younger children can stir ingredients together.
- Do not crowd the vegetables or use too deep of a baking pan. Doing so will steam vs. roast the vegetables.
- Experiment with a variety of vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, beets, etc.), herbs, and spices (basil, rosemary, thyme, etc.).