1/2 pound ground, low-fat turkey
1 small onion, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
8 ounces tomato sauce, salt-free
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1 3/4 cups water
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
1 1/2 cups whole wheat noodles, uncooked
1 1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, low-fat
- In a large skillet, thoroughly brown and crumble ground turkey, being sure that all juices are clear. Do not undercook the ground turkey.
- Drain off fat.
- Add onion, sauces, water, seasonings, and noodles. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- Stop stirring and turn off heat. Top with the shredded cheese. Allow cheese to melt for a few minutes. Serve.
- If the ground turkey is frozen, put in the refrigerator to thaw the day before you use it. Put it on the bottom shelf in a dish so the thawing meat juices do not drip onto foods on lower shelves.
- To reduce fat, first brown the ground turkey thoroughly, then place in a colander and rinse under hot water. Drain the meat before adding to the lasagna recipe.