Stewed tomato rice with pork skillet
1/2 cup uncooked instant brown rice
1 16-ounce can stewed tomatoes, no added salt
3 1/2 ounces fresh mushroom, sliced
1 cooked pork chop or lean cut steak, trimmed fat
1 cup green beans, frozen
- In medium skillet, combine rice, stewed tomatoes with juice, and mushrooms. Bring to boil.
- Mix in pieces of meat.
- Put green beans on top and cover.
- Reduce heat and cook over low heat for about 20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
- Check and stir gently once or twice to be sure the rice is mixed with the tomato juice.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking and use within 2 days.
- To reduce sodium content, use tomatoes that have been canned without salt and sliced fresh mushrooms.
- For more flavor, add 1/2-1 teaspoon (to taste) of dried herbs or seasonings such as Italian season, thyme, garlic pepper, etc.
- Portion leftovers into shallow containers and refrigerate promptly. Leftover mushrooms can be frozen for several weeks and used later.