4 green or red peppers
1/2 pound ground Italian sausage, turkey sausage, or beef
1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 15-ounce can spaghetti sauce
3 cups cooked brown rice*
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (divided)
Optional: 2-4 cups kale, spinach, or other dark leafy green, chopped
*See recipe in “Tips and Variations”
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Wash the peppers, cut in half lengthwise, and remove seeds. Arrange in a 9 x 13-inch baking dish or sheet pan.
- Sauté the ground meat and onion in a large skillet over medium heat until browned and cooked to 155 degrees F. Pour off any excess fat.
- Stir in the oregano, spaghetti sauce, rice, 1/2 cup cheese, and green vegetable (if using).
- Spoon sausage mixture into the peppers, mounding on the top.
- Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese on top. Continue to cook another 10 minutes until cheese is melted.
- To cook the brown rice, follow the package directions or see the Wild or Brown Rice recipe.
- Do not pour fat down the drain. Pour fat from ground meat into a bowl. Place bowl in refrigerator until the fat has hardened and then spoon into the trash.
- To make smaller meals, freeze filling in three or four portions. When ready to eat, thaw a portion and bake in two or three pepper halves.