1 small head of romaine lettuce, torn into small pieces
3 fresh tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 pound lean ground beef
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, peeled and quartered or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon Mexican seasoning, low salt (see “Tips and Variations”)
1 15 1/2 ounces-can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- Put lettuce in a large bowl. Add tomatoes and green pepper.
- Cook ground beef thoroughly. Drain off fat and rinse.
- Return meat to fry pan. Add onion and garlic and cook until soft.
- Add Mexican seasoning and beans.
- Dish lettuce on plates. Add meat mixture on top.
- Serve with salsa if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking.
- Check out this easy-to-make Mexican seasoning mix..
- You may want to use canned chili beans for a spicier flavor.
- To reduce fat, brown meat in a small amount of water instead of oil, or rinse it off with warm water.
- Try adding other deep greens (spinach, kale, etc.) to boost vitamins.