Tangy black beans and rice
1 cup dried black beans
6 cups water plus water for soaking
1 whole onion, peeled
Optional: 1/4 teaspoon of salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup onion, chopped (about 1 medium)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups hot cooked brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
Ingredients for Tangy Sauce
1/2 cup onion, chopped (1/2 medium)
1 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 tablespoon chili powder
2 tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- Cover beans with water. Cover with lid; soak overnight.
- Drain. Place beans in large saucepan. Add 6 cups water and whole onion.
- Bring to a boil and cover pan. Reduce heat and simmer 1-2 hours or until beans are tender.
- While the beans are cooking, prepare the tangy sauce and cook the rice (if not already made ahead of time).
- Heat oil in small fry pan on medium heat. Sauté green pepper, garlic, chopped onion, oregano, and cumin. Add to beans.
- Simmer a few minutes to blend flavors. Remove whole onion.
- Serve beans over rice. Top with tangy sauce.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours of cooking.
- Serve leftover beans and rice in a wrap or taco, or serve it in a bowl topped with a fried egg for breakfast.
- Cook a whole pound of black beans and use the extra beans to make other dishes like soup or casseroles.
- If beans give you gas, try eating small amounts and slowly increase so your body can adjust.