Vegetable fried rice
Non-stick cooking spray
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped (about 1/2 onion)
2 cloves garlic, minced, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 cups brown rice, cooked
2 cups frozen vegetables
1 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
Optional: Ground black pepper
- Spray a deep 12" skillet with cooking spray, or coat with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil and place over medium heat.
- Pour the lightly beaten eggs into the skillet and stir occasionally until completely cooked (2 to 3 minutes). Remove the eggs to a plate and set aside. Clean any residue from skillet.
- Return the skillet to the burner and add the oil. Heat to medium high and add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened.
- Stir in the frozen vegetables and heat 1-2 minutes. Stir in the rice and soy sauce. Heat through, stirring occasionally.
- Add the eggs and heat through. Sprinkle with pepper, if desired, before serving.
- To cook the brown rice, follow the package directions or see the Wild or Brown Rice recipe at z.umn.edu/31as.
- Leftover rice works well in this recipe.
- If you don't have low-sodium soy sauce, use 1 1/2 teaspoons regular soy sauce plus 1 1/2 teaspoons water.
- If desired, add 1 cup cooked meat, fish, or chicken.
- This meal is a great way to start having meatless meals at least once a week.