Whole wheat pasta bake
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 15-ounce cans of tomato sauce (no salt added)
Nonstick cooking spray
4 cups dried whole wheat rotini or similar pasta
3 cups water
2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Add hamburger to a large fry pan or skillet. Cook over medium heat until the meat is browned.
- Drain the meat mixture.
- Stir in the Italian seasoning, onion powder, garlic powder, pepper, bell pepper, and tomato sauce. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Spray a 9” x 13” casserole dish or cake pan with cooking spray.
- Place the dry pasta into the dish or pan and top with the prepared sauce.
- Pour the water over the entire mixture and stir well.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove the dish or pan from oven and stir well. Top evenly with cheese
- Return the dish or pan to oven and bake, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
- Substitute ground turkey, chicken, pork, bison, or reconstituted textured vegetable protein for the beef in this recipe.
- Increase the nutritional value by adding additional chopped vegetables to your sauce. Try broccoli, carrots, zucchini or summer squash, or greens.
- Serve the pasta bake with a garden salad and glasses of skim milk for a complete meal.