Whole wheat pasta with marinara sauce
1 pound uncooked whole wheat pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta according to the package directions.
- Heat oil in a pan and add onions, carrots, and celery. Stir occasionally till the onions are browned.
- Add the tomatoes, Italian seasoning, garlic, and salt. Cook until thickened.
- Drain the pasta. Serve the cooked sauce over pasta.
- Garnish with cheese and parsley.
- Add cooked ground beef or turkey for additional protein.
- Serve this dish with a garden side salad.
- Freeze the leftover sauce for a quick meal starter in the future.