Zesty bean tacos
16 ounces dried pinto beans
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
5 cloves of garlic, minced
4 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 cup water
20 corn tortillas shells
2 cups romaine lettuce, shredded
1 cup shredded cheese
- Prepare dried beans according to package directions. (See recipe link in “Tips and Variations.” Once beans are cooked, drain and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté onion for 3-5 minutes, or until softened. Add the garlic and sauté another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cooked beans, cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and water. Add additional water, if needed, to reach desired consistency.
- Stir well and heat until simmering. Remove from heat and fill taco shells with bean mixture. Top with lettuce and cheese. Serve.
- To cook the dried beans, follow the instructions for the quick hot soak or overnight soak method found on Preparing Dried Beans and Whole Dry Peas: http://z.umn.edu/preparingbeans.
- You can substitute 5-6 cups of canned beans (about 3 15-ounce cans), rinsed and drained, for the dried and cooked beans.
- This recipe can be served over rice or salad, or in burritos.
- To lower the fat, try a low-fat cheese.
- Top with any of your favorite taco toppings. Try fresh tomatoes, avocadoes, diced onion, salsa, cilantro, or chopped peppers.