Zucchini marinara bake
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
3 medium zucchini, sliced
1 24-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 16-ounce package whole wheat penne noodles
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
- Add olive oil to large pan. Add chopped onions and peppers, sliced mushrooms, garlic, basil, and oregano and cook gently over low heat (sauté) for approximately 3 minutes.
- Add zucchini slices and sauté for 2 more minutes. Zucchini will be slightly crisp.
- In a casserole or baking pan, layer ingredients as follows:1/3 of the spaghetti sauce, 1/2 of the vegetables, 1/2 of the cheese, 1/3 of the sauce, remaining vegetables, remaining cheese, and remaining sauce.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- While the casserole is baking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- When the casserole is done, uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Let the casserole sit for 10 minutes before serving. Serve it with the pasta.
- Add sliced chicken or ground beef for additional protein.
- If you have leftovers, mix everything together to prevent the pasta from drying out.
- This casserole is also great served over sliced polenta, brown rice, or other cooked whole grain instead of the whole wheat pasta.