Zucchini southwest skillet
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
3 cups zucchini, cubed (2-3 small zucchini, cut into small pieces)
1 cup frozen corn
1 cup tomatoes, diced, or 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, minced
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/2 lime, juiced
1/2 cup crumbled cheese (try queso fresco, cotija, or feta)
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat until shimmery, about 1 minute. Add garlic and stir until fragrant and slightly golden in color, about 1 minute.
- Add zucchini and corn to skillet and cook, stirring for about 3-5 minutes or until slightly softened and corn is thawed. Add tomatoes, black beans, and cilantro, stirring until heated through.
- Mix in salt and pepper to taste. Squeeze juice from lime over the top of the mixture; toss to combine. Top with crumbled cheese.
- Watch this recipe being prepared on Cooking with Zucchini: http://www.z.umn.edu/33mw.
- Try this dish in the summer when zucchini and tomatoes are plentiful!
- Like it spicy? Try adding a jalapeño pepper or cayenne pepper.
- Use what you have. Substitute different fresh veggies like green beans or summer squash, or use canned tomatoes.
- Cook once, eat twice! Make a double batch and refrigerate the leftovers. Top chopped lettuce with 1 cup of the mixture, or eat it as a filling for a sandwich or tortilla wrap.