Discover this red root vegetable
How to select
Choose beets with firm, smooth skins and non-wilted leaves if still attached. Smaller ones are more tender.
How to store
Remove leaves, leaving about an inch of the stems. Use leaves as greens- raw or cooked. Store roots in a plastic bag in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Wash before cooking.
Ways to use
- Add beets along with other vegetables to skewers and heat thoroughly on the grill.
- Add sliced beets and their leaves to your favorite stir-fry veggie combo. If desired, mix in your meat of choice and enjoy.
- Add beets and their leaves to homemade vegetable soup or minestrone. Clean and slice the beet into small pieces before adding to the soup.
- Add beet leaves to salad greens for some additional vitamins and minerals.
Did you know...
- Beet juice is often used as a natural dye.
- In ancient civilizations, only the beet green was eaten. The roots were used to treat toothaches and headaches.
- The heaviest beet on record was grown in England in 2001 weighed 51.48 lbs.