Explore this juicy summer melon
How to select
Melons like cantaloupe are best when picked at the peak of ripeness, yet still firm. Ripe melons are symmetrical in shape, free of cracks, bruises, or soft spots, and have a slight softness to the touch.
How to store
For a juicer cantaloupe, store at room temperature for 2-3 days. Cut cantaloupe into pieces and place in a plastic bag in the refrigerator. Use it within a couple of days. If the melon is not wrapped in plastic, its odor will be transferred to other refrigerated foods.
Ways to use
- Smile wedges: scoop out the inside and slice into large smile shaped wedges.
- Puree and use in sorbet, ice cream, or smoothies.
- Mix cut up melon with your other favorite fruits for a colorful fruit salad.
- Thread cubes of melon and other favorite fruit on skewers.
- Serve with yogurt dip and enjoy!
Did you know...
- The largest cantaloupe on record was 63 pounds.
- Muskmelon is another name for cantaloupe.
- Cantaloupes received their name from Cantalupo, Italy.
- The European cantaloupe has a smooth gray-green skin while the American cantaloupe has a tough net-like skin.
- 10-15 bee visits are needed on average for proper pollination and large melons.