Discover how to prepare this root vegetable
How to select
Select tubers that are firm and unblemished with a slightly silky sheen.
How to store
Jicamas can be stored for up to 2 weeks in a plastic bag in the refrigerator.
How to use
- Cut jicama into sticks and use as a raw vegetable.
- Add jicama to a stir fry.
- Make jicama chips. Peel jicama and thinly slice. Arrange on a plate and squeeze with juice of 1/2 lime. Sprinkle lightly with salt, sugar, and chili powder. Chill for 20 minutes and serve.
- Try roasting or sautéing jicama.
- Add julienne jicama to any dish for an extra crunch.
Did you know...
- Pronounced HEE-KAH-MAH, jicama is a relative of the potato family and can weigh between a few ounces to 6 pounds.
- The root is edible but the above-ground portions are toxic.
- The taste is like a cross between a potato and a pear.
- Native Americans used jicama seeds as fish poison causing the fish to rise to the surface and to be caught much easier.