Learn more about this nutrient rich vegetable
How to select
All potato varieties should be clean, firm, smooth, dry and uniform in size.
How to store
Store potatoes in a cool, dark, well ventilated place for use within 3-5 weeks.
How to use
- To enhance the flavor of potatoes, use basil, bay leaf, celery seed, chives, curry powder, dill weed, garlic, ginger, marjoram, nutmeg, oregano, rosemary, tarragon and/or thyme.
- Only have a few minutes? Cook a potato in the microwave. Pierce a medium-size potato with a fork before placing on a paper towel in the microwave. Cook on high for 4-6 minutes, until tender.
- Toppings like salsa, lean proteins such as beans, chicken or fish, and all types of fresh vegetables will add flavor, variety, and even more vitamins and minerals to the already naturally nutrient rich potato.
Did you know...
- There are thousands of different potato varieties but not all are commercially available, popular ones include Russet, Yukon Gold, Kennebec, Desiree and Fingerling.
- Storing potatoes near onions can cause the potatoes to rot quicker due to the interaction of the gasses that both vegetables produce.
- Prolonged exposure to light will cause potatoes to turn green.
How to cut a potato
Become a Member
Create a free account to access all site content.
Already have a University of Minnesota account?