Learn more about this red, juicy fruit
How to select
Choose shiny, firm strawberries with a bright red color. Caps should be fresh, green and intact. Avoid shriveled, mushy or leaky berries.
How to store
Do not wash strawberries until ready to eat. Store in refrigerator for 1-3 days.
Ways to use
- Add sliced berries to spinach salad and toss with a low-fat balsamic vinaigrette.
- Top waffles or pancakes with sliced strawberries and bananas for a fresh alternative to syrup.
- Toss in with other fruit and blend for a creamy smoothie.
- Skip the J in a classic PB and J sandwich and use fresh sliced strawberries in its place!
Did you know...
- On average, there are 200 tiny seeds on every strawberry.
- There are more than 600 varieties of strawberries.
- It is the only fruit with the seeds on the outside.
- Each US resident eats 3.4 lbs of fresh strawberries a year.
- All the strawberries produced in California laid berry to berry would go around the world 15 times.